On May 15th we commemorate Nakba Day, the day of catastrophe marking the exile and dispossession of Palestinians in 1948, when Zionist gangs carried out a pre-meditated plan of ethnic cleansing and settlement that led to the expulsion of 1 million Palestinians and the destruction of over 500 Palestinian villages.
On May 8th, and in the days leading up to Nakba Day, organizations across the U.S. are holding actions in support of the Palestinians in Sheik Jarrah in Jerusalem who continue to fight back against zionist settlers and occupation forces in the face of imminent eviction and ethnic cleansing.
Despite over 73 years of catastrophe, Palestinians remain steadfast and resilient in defense of our land and of our nation. Palestinian resistance alone has ensured the survival of Palestine, and we are currently witnessing that resistance in the courageous defense of Al-Quds (Jerusalem).
The Nakba is not a singular historical event, it is a daily process of settler-colonialism whose aim is the complete expulsion of indigenous Palestinians from our land.
From Sheikh Jarrah to Beit Iksa, our people continue to be attacked by zionists and our land stolen. As long as Palestinians live under zionist colonization and cannot return, we must continue to resist with everything we have from wherever we are.
Please join us on May 8th and May 15th by endorsing existing actions, which entails sharing Nakba Day materials with your listservs and social media audiences, or organizing a rally in your area if possible.
Below we have most of what you need to organize a successful rally in support of Palestine and Palestinian resistance!
#DefendPalestine #RightToReturn #RightToResist #FreePalestine #WithinOurLifetime #SaveSheikhJarrah
This is a non-comprehensive list of what you may need at a rally. You may not need all of these components to have a successful rally but if you have the capacity and resources for the following it will help your action be more successful.
- Create a facebook event page
- Flyer design (we have sample flyers you can use at the bottom)
- Create a standard blurb for people to share on social media. Feel free to use from our introduction.
- Co-sponsor with allied orgs to bring in more resources and support
- Contact legal observers (legal organizations like National Lawyers Guild provide legal observing to rallies across the U.S.)
- Write a press release to send to local media the night before or early the day of the rally.
- Organize a press conference with community leaders and organizations to speak about the goals of the rally to the media.
- Have a point media person to coordinate with media for the press conference
- Create a security plan for those that attend the rally to ensure their safety particularly from Zionist disruptors.
- Be prepared to do jail support in case any protesters are arrested.
- Campuses: contact student organizations and ask them to share on social media.
- Coalitions: invite any coalitions you may be a part of to not only endorse but attend, speak, and volunteer with security and other demanding tasks.
- Local neighborhood: Not everyone is online. Organize physical outreach if you live near a Palestinian community. Ask local stores to advertise your rally in their windows. Go around and tape flyers to bus stops and give them out to those that may be interested
- Markers to write down legal observers/lawyers number who agreed to observe
- Bullhorn/speakers + mic/sound
- Clipboard for sign up sheet
- program coordinator
- Speakers list
- Live stream video
- Security coordinator
- Outreach coordinator
- Media person
- Internal assessment + debrief
- Posting Statement + pictures on Social Media/ website
Here are some Palestinian resistance songs you may choose to play as folks gather for the rally
دحية يا ستي
Janna ya wattanna
Ya Zareef Al-tool – Palestinian dabke
We will free Palestine!
Within our lifetime!
There is only one solution!
Resistance is justified
When people are occupied!
Palestine is our demand!
No peace on stolen land!
من المية للمية فلسطين عربية
Min il-maya lal maya, falasteen 3arabiye
(from the river to the sea, Palestine is Arab)
بدنا نحكي على المكشوف صهيوني ما بدنا نشوف
Bidna nihki al makshouf, sahyouni ma Bidna Nshoof
(Say it loud say it clear, we don’t want zionists here)
باب الأقصى من حديد ما بيفتحها الا الشهيد
Bab Al-Aqsa min Hadeed, ma byiftaha illa alshaheed
(The door of alaqsa is made of iron, only a martyr can open it)
When Palestine is under attack, What do we do?
Stand up! Fight Back!
Hey hey, ho ho!
Zionism has got to go!
Hey hey, ho ho!
israel has got to go!
From the river to the sea
Palestine will be free!
From Palestine to Mexico,
Apartheid walls have got to go!
From New York to Gaza
Globalize the intifada!
Free, free Palestine!
Long live Palestine!
Long live the intifada!
This is not acceptable, Jerusalem’s our capital!
Stop the U.S. war machine
From Palestine to the Philippines!
It is right to rebel,
Israel go to hell!
Settlers settlers go back home
Palestine is our home!
When Palestinians are oppressed,
Boycott, sanction, & divest!
We don’t want two states
We want ‘48!
1 2 3 4 occupation no more!
5 6 7 8 smash the settler zionist state!
Out of Afghanistan, out of Iraq,
Out of Palestine and don’t come back!
Occupation is a crime,
From New York to Palestine!
Not just annexation!
Not just occupation!
Fight for Liberation,
Bring the whole thing down!
Not another nickel! Not another dime!
No more money for israel’s crimes!
Israel you can’t hide!
You’re committing genocide!
israel what do you say?
How many kids did you jail today?
israel we know you!
You imprison children too!
End detention, stop the crimes!
israel out of Palestine!
Sign Making Examples
- Defend Palestine, Defend Sheikh Jarrah!
- Support Palestinian Resistance
- We Will Free Palestine Within Our Lifetime
- There Is Only One Solution: Intifada, Revolution
- Defend Jerusalem, Defend Palestine
- Zionism Is Racism, Abolish israel
- We Will Return Within Our Lifetime
- Long Live Palestinian Freedom Fighters
- Glory to Palestinian Freedom Fighters
- Palestine: The Heart of Struggle Against Imperialism
- Free All Palestinian Prisoners
- End All U.S. Aid To The Racist State Of israel!