In May 2021 as Palestinians from Al-Quds to Gaza to 1948 Palestine rose up in defense of Sheikh Jarrah and Al–Aqsa and confronted the zionist occupation from the river to the sea, Palestinians and people of conscience around the world mobilized to organize emergency protests to support and advance our people’s resistance back home. In response, Within Our Lifetime began protesting on a daily and weekly basis, bringing tens of thousands of people to the streets from Brooklyn to Queens to Manhattan to the Bronx to Staten Island and beyond. One year later, as Palestinians once again escalate their resistance to the occupation in the face of intensifying attacks during Ramadan, ethnic cleansing and genocide, we must escalate our efforts once again in supporting and advancing our people’s struggle back home.
This toolkit, first launched last year, is the product of nearly a decade of hands-on practice, experience and lessons that we have learned from our time organizing in NYC. While conditions differ across the US and around the world, this toolkit is a roadmap for how your organization or coalition can put on a successful rally and build the movement for Palestine from wherever you are.
On May 15th we commemorate Nakba Day, the day of catastrophe marking the exile and dispossession of Palestinians in 1948, when zionist gangs carried out a pre-meditated plan of ethnic cleansing and settlement that led to the expulsion of 1 million Palestinians and the destruction of over 500 Palestinian villages. Organizations across the U.S. are holding actions in support of the Palestinians who continue to fight back against zionist settler colonial violence by any means necessary.
Despite over 74 years of catastrophe, Palestinians remain steadfast and resilient in defense of our land and of our nation. Palestinian resistance alone has ensured the survival of Palestine, and we are constantly witnessing that resistance in the courageous defense of Al-Quds (Jerusalem). As long as Palestinians live under zionist colonization and cannot return, we must continue to resist with everything we have from wherever we are.
As you read this, emergency protests for Palestine are being organized across the US and around the world. Join protests in the coming days and on Nakba Day on May 15th by checking out Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network’s “Calendar of Resistance” or use this toolkit to organize a protest wherever you are.
If your organization does organize a rally, be sure to reach out to Samidoun at firstname.lastname@example.org so they can add your event to their website! If you need any further support, feel free to reach out to us over email at email@example.com using the subject “Rally Support”.
This is a non-comprehensive list of what you may need at a rally. You may not need all of these components to have a successful rally but if you have the capacity and resources for the following it will help your action be more successful.
- Create a facebook event page
- Flyer design (we have sample flyers you can use at the bottom)
- Create a standard blurb for people to share on social media. Feel free to use from our introduction.
- Co-sponsor with allied orgs to bring in more resources and support
- Contact legal observers (legal organizations like National Lawyers Guild provide legal observing to rallies across the U.S.)
- Write a press release to send to local media the night before or early the day of the rally.
- Organize a press conference with community leaders and organizations to speak about the goals of the rally to the media.
- Have a point media person to coordinate with media for the press conference
- Create a security plan for those that attend the rally to ensure their safety particularly from Zionist disruptors.
- Be prepared to do jail support in case any protesters are arrested.
- Campuses: contact student organizations and ask them to share on social media.
- Coalitions: invite any coalitions you may be a part of to not only endorse but attend, speak, and volunteer with security and other demanding tasks.
- Local neighborhood: Not everyone is online. Organize physical outreach if you live near a Palestinian community. Ask local stores to advertise your rally in their windows. Go around and tape flyers to bus stops and give them out to those that may be interested
- Markers to write down legal observers/lawyers number who agreed to observe
- Bullhorn/speakers + mic/sound
- Clipboard for sign up sheet
- program coordinator
- Speakers list
- Live stream video
- Security coordinator
- Outreach coordinator
- Media person
- Internal assessment + debrief
- Posting Statement + pictures on Social Media/ website
Here are some Palestinian resistance songs you may choose to play as folks gather for the rally
دحية يا ستي
Janna ya wattanna
Ya Zareef Al-tool – Palestinian dabke
We will free Palestine!
Within our lifetime!
There is only one solution!
Resistance is justified!
When people are occupied!
Palestine is our demand!
No peace on stolen land!
من المية للمية فلسطين عربية
Min il-maya lal maya, Falasteen 3arabiye
(From the river to the sea, Palestine is Arab)
بدنا نحكي على المكشوف صهيوني ما بدنا نشوف
Bidna nihki al makshouf, sahyouni ma Bidna Nshoof
(Say it loud say it clear, we don’t want zionists here)
باب الأقصى من حديد ما بيفتحها الا الشهيد
Bab Al-Aqsa min Hadeed, ma byiftaha illa alshaheed
(The door of Al-Aqsa is made of iron, only a martyr can open it)
When Palestine is under attack
What do we do?
Stand up! Fight Back!
Hey hey, ho ho!
zionism has got to go!
Hey hey, ho ho!
israel has got to go!
From the river to the sea!
Palestine will be free!
From Palestine to Mexico!
All these walls have got to go!
From New York to Gaza!
Globalize the intifada!
Free, free Palestine!
Long live Palestine!
Long live the intifada!
This is not acceptable, Jerusalem’s our capital!
Stop the U.S. war machine!
From Palestine to the Philippines!
It is right to rebel!
israel go to hell!
Settlers settlers go back home!
Palestine is our home!
We don’t want two states!
We want ‘48!
1 2 3 4 occupation no more!
5 6 7 8 smash the settler zionist state!
Out of Afghanistan! Out of Iraq!
Out of Palestine and don’t come back!
Occupation is a crime!
From New York to Palestine!
Not just annexation!
Not just occupation!
Fight for liberation!
Bring the whole thing down!
Not another nickel! Not another dime!
No more money for israel’s crimes!
israel you can’t hide!
You’re committing genocide!
israel what do you say?
How many kids did you jail today?
israel we know you!
You imprison children too!
End detention, stop the crimes!
israel out of Palestine!
Sign Making Templates
Download the following templates to publicize your rally.